As we pulled out of the parking lot we both sat with smiles plastered across our faces. The banter and quick handed jokes that were exchanged moments ago kept up as we pulled back onto the road. We were leaving what was in our eyes a great meeting, but it didn’t feel like a meeting….and that is for us what made it so great. We believe strongly in always presenting ourselves in a professional manner, but as a service based business we feel a strong passion to deliver a wonderful experience, and that means building an environment of trust and relaxation…and this usually means a lot of laughter. For us this starts from the time a bride (or groom) first contacts us. If you didn’t know, Tiff handles all e-mail correspondences with our brides, and she does an amazing job at it. Her attention to detail, unbelievable time management, and..most important..trust she builds with our brides allow every couple to know they are going to be taken care of.
We like to meet with a potential couple whenever possible because we want to know that we will be as good a fit for them as they will be for us. We advocate it all the time, but we believe the experience the photographer brings to your wedding day is as important as the final image. On a wedding day the bride will spend more time with her photographers then with her groom-to-be, so it’s important that there is a sense of compatibility. We approach a meeting like a first date. We want to talk about you, your story, your likes and dislikes, what makes you two laugh. We’re sure you have questions for us, but we would much rather build a rapport and spend thirty minutes getting to know more about the two of you and your needs then rattle on about our gear…though I do love talking shop.
Since we prefer spending our meetings like this we thought we’d throw out some common questions and random facts about the two of us.
1) Nikon or Canon? We shoot Nikon. Why? This one is easy. I come from a background in film & video production, and had two Nikon lenses that I used in the video world. Walla! When Tiff wanted to get in to photography I already had two prime lenses ready and waiting, so her first camera body was a Nikon D40. We’ve since upgraded, sold and upgraded again, but throughout we’re still Nikon.
2) Do you both shoot? We have shot every wedding together. We don’t have a designated layout of first shooter, second shooter roles, but after enough weddings together we have built a methodology that fits our personalities and our strengths. If you ever see Tiff walk behind me and whisper something she is most likely keeping us on schedule or making sure no shots are missed.
3) How long have you been shooting? This is our second wedding season. We feel very fortunate and blessed that our business has grown as well as it has. We attribute this to hard work and investing in others.
4) Did you go to school for photography? Not in the traditional sense. Tiff went to school for Early Childhood Education. I studied Media Communications. We are huge advocates of, “you will find a way to learn anything you are passionate about.” We share more on our untraditional education HERE.
5) Why Weddings? After our wedding Tiff fell in love with the process, the planning, and the idea of working with brides…and she knew the importance of having the right photographer on your wedding day. The structure, creativity, and time management were all a perfect fit for her personality. I, however, certainly never grew up thinking I would be a wedding photographer, and when Tiff came to me after our wedding with an interest in pursuing wedding photography I originally came on as more a photo editor. I quickly realized I enjoyed being out shooting much more then being behind a computer. For myself it’s the couples, and the creativity in capturing beautiful, natural images that tell a story.
6) Favorite moment of the wedding day? We love capturing the day…the details…bringing together the entire story, but most of all we love the first look. Capturing this private moment when a couple sees each other for the first time on their wedding day is such a beautiful moment. We know the importance of photos. We have our portraits taken at least once a year, and being able to capture this private moment for a couple is something we take great pride in.
7) Who do you look up to in the industry? This is a good one. Depending on what we’re talking about we have a few. Branding, business design, marketing, and giving back we definitely look up to Jasmine Star, The Grays, Mike Larson, and Zack Arias. Stylistically, we love the work of Jose Villa, Tec Petaja, Jennifer Hudson and Elizabeth Messina.
8) What do you do in your off time? Definitely one of the hardest things about being a small business owner is pulling yourself away from your own business. Mix in that we truly love what we do, and it’s very easy to stay in the office until late in the evening. We do try to step away from the office, and enjoy a life with each other and with friends. Tiffany has made strong friendships with other industry professionals as well as former brides who she loves catching up with for a meal or a hike. I have a group of friends I enjoy working out with and doing the occasional mud race or half marathon with. Add in catching up with a very large family, our Bert’s Big Adventure obligations and trying to help out anyone who has a question for us and we manage to keep a busy schedule.
9) How is it working with your spouse? I’ll be blunt. The first year was the hardest. We were newlyweds stepping into a new industry we didn’t know anything about, we were trying to find our way both creatively and professionally as a team all while trying to learn how to balance our new roles as husband and wife. Somehow though it worked. We fill in the gaps for each other. We learned our strengths and our weaknesses. We learned more about patience and communication then we had ever known. We recently left a wedding and looked at each other, and said how we couldn’t imagine doing this with anyone else.
10) Are you nervous about becoming parents? Absolutely…but we’re also crazy excited. In fact I’m typing this on my phone as we head to interview a pediatrician. One of the first things that bonded us when we were dating was our love for kids.
We definitely don’t know it all, but we love to share what we do know, so if you have a question drop us a line. We may just have an answer, and if we don’t that’s even better because we can go find it together.
-Robert & Tiffany